On February 7th, 1930, Elizabeth Dixon (shown above) met at the residence of Mrs. H. H. Jackson at 202 S. Washington Street along with Mrs. R.E. Appleton, Miss Edna Rowland and Mrs. J. H. Slatford. At this preliminary gathering, Mrs. Elizabeth Dixon stated the objectives that animated the group “to maintain a center for the activities of the women of the county; to create a friendly relation among the members; to promote a common interest and understanding in charitable, educational, civic, moral and social measures.”
The Women's Club Movement
Talbot’s visionary women leaders founded the Talbot County Women’s Club putting them in the forefront of the “Women’s Club Movement,” which provided women a forum for the free exchange of ideas and for improving their communities.
At the first regular meeting of the club which was held on March 22, 1930 officers were elected and one hundred and ninety -nine members were enrolled. The first meeting was held in the auditorium of the elementary school.
During the Great Depression
During the Great Depression, the period was difficult for everyone. Even the well-to-do had to get along on drastically reduced means. However, the club found much that it could do to help alleviate conditions in the county by making hundreds of garments which were distributed where needed and made the first move to provide food and a glass of mild for the lunches of under-nourished school children. It was the determination to help that held the Club together during this blighting period.
Talbot County Women's Club Acquires Building to Serve as the Club's Permanent Home
Mrs. Elizabeth Dixon, in 1945, was made chairman of a committee to look for a building that might serve as the Club’s permanent home. Many different places had been mentioned during the years as suitable should the time ever arrive when the nebulous dream of a home might reasonably be regarded as not beyond the possibility of attainment. Mrs. Dixon had long had her eye on a certain building, one of the few remaining houses in Easton, a part of which dates to the time of the Court House and the Stewart Building. The house was owned by the estate of William T. Wright, whose daughters, Mrs. Nora White and Mrs. Wiberta Stafford have long been members of the club. The deed was signed January 2, 1946. On March 26the the Club held its first meeting in the present meeting room.
Funds for Refinishing the Drawing Room and Furniture
Mr. Milton Campbell gave funds for refinishing the drawing-room and gave furniture for it from the girlhood home of his late wife, a charter member who devoted to the Club to the end of her life.
Tour of the United Nations
March 21, 1958….Talbot County Women’s Club arrive by bus for a two-day tour of the United Nations in New York. Mrs. Patrick M. Malin, Official observer at the United Nations for the Women’s International League of Peace and Freedom and a cousin of Mrs. Forman (International Relations chairman of the Club) was the group’s official guide and hostess for the two days. While the Talbot visitors were listening to a debate in the Commission on Human Rights, a delegate from the International Federation of Women’s Clubs and a delegate from the Women’s International League of Peace and Freedom spoke.
Tour members said they were quite fascinated and somewhat awed with the immensity and beauty of the General Assembly and the three Council Chambers.
Historic Landmark Building
The Talbot County Women’s Club is a 501(C)3 public charity. The 1790’s clubhouse is in the Easton Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places and in the Easton Hill Community Area, one of the oldest settlements of free African-Americans in the United States.